Warm and Cool TREES one day art lesson for Element of COLOR - COLOUR 2nd - 4th grade
Second, Third & Fourth grade teachers, are you looking for a quick-win art lesson that is not craft? One that makes authentic links to the Element of Color/ Colour, Art Theory, Art History, Famous artworks ... and ... also guides you and your students through making a quick but relevant art response?
All in a 1 day art lesson!
Then this Mini Masterpieces art lesson for WARM & COOL TREES inspired by the work of Australian contemporary artist, Rett Grayson, could be what you are searching for!
I am writing a series that will see you through the whole year of teaching visual art essentials to your students, aiming for 1 hour a week.
More lessons in this series being added to this category - see links below:
View lesson 1 HERE (The Colour / Color wheel - RAINBOW UNICORNS)
And the following lessons are currently only on TPT and coming here soon. Links below:
View lesson 3 HERE (COMPLIMENTARY FLOWERS)
View the 2nd-4th grade Color / Colour BUNDLE HERE
View lesson 4 HERE (VALUE Leaves)
View lesson 5 HERE (SPACE Winter Trees)
View the 2nd-4th grade Value-Space BUNDLE HERE
For Kindy - 2nd grade teachers I have a similar series available.
For upper elementary & Middle School, I have several Principles of Art and Design lessons available in this custom category HERE. Bundle coming soon.
'WARM & COOL TREES' is an impactful Art lesson plan that also helps to consolidate your student's understanding of Visual Art. They will love and look forward to these small chunks of art explorations, each week.
These easy to use art lessons have a strong focus on the Elements of Art, a great way to build essential knowledge and skill in this subject area - particularly for teachers without an art background or limited knowledge in this area.
Each lesson focus in this series will include just the right amount of art theory, introduce a famous artist, artwork or art theme that relates to the focus, and then guide you through a mini masterpiece art lesson that has been tested and crafted to suit this age group of 7, 8 and 9yr olds.
This lesson includes choice options for differentiation, while keeping the skills taught consistent across the class, to save your sanity.
❤️ Take the guesswork out of teaching art,
❤️ avoid endless hours of research,
❤️ avoid the epic fails that result from not having the time to trial the lesson or media yourself before teaching it.
I’ve done it all for you and trailed this lesson with my own students, in 2nd - 4th grades.
❤️ why should you trust my lessons?
I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practising as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school. I do this every day, just like you!
❤️ How will this resource help busy classroom teachers, who are nervous about teaching art?
No worries - I’ve got you covered.
This lesson comes as a full colour PDF teacher guide, with a bumper 40+ slide deck, to share on your large screen with your students.
All project steps are clearly explained and photographed, from start to finish, giving you the confidence to deliver a quality visual art lesson to your students.
❤️ All the materials & skills are also clearly listed for you. It’s like having an art specialist with you in your classroom.
The PDF slides are intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students. This extra visual support will prove useful, particularly to diverse learners, and will also save your from having to repeat the same instructions, over and over again.
Select VIEW > enter full screen for presentation mode. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
Encourage students along the way, to follow choice options and create their unique artwork, while being guided by the information on the slides.
⏰ How long will this project take to finish?
This art lesson and project can be completed in a few hours, depending on the age and stage of students and the size of paper /media/ style you or your students choose.
Chunk into smaller manageable lessons, if needed.
View the PDF & Video previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you will soon have beautiful artwork on the walls and students glowing with pride!
❤️ So what is special about this resource?
'WARM & COOL TREES' is NOT a superficial art or craft option. As a specialist in this field, I write lessons that encourage deeper, cross-curricular learning and make meaningful connections to other subject areas. This IS:
- a drawing tutorial that uses lines and shapes (Math)
- explores the concept of color/ colour theory (Science),
- teaches about the concept of light waves, warm & cool color / colour temperature (How the World Works).
- makes cross-curricular links to seasons & plants (How the World Works).
This lesson plan can be the perfect companion art project for students inquiring into
✏️ The Theory of Visual Art
✏️ Color (colour) theory
✏️ The use of color/colour temperature by a contemporary artist
✏️ Trees and the natural world
✏️ How the World Works & How We Express Ourselves (IB PYP)
Students can express their unique ideas through personal choices and modifications (suggestions offered in the guide), while working through the guided project. Pause the presentation in places to discuss next steps with students, check understanding and explore potential student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. This addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork objectives in a purposeful way.
Teachers who have used one of my themed 2-4 lesson plans - Elements of Art project for FRANK STELLA inspired PAPER SCULPTURES - say:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Extremely satisfied! Another great resource. I have purchased several from you recently and I love all of them. This resource is a great way to focus and teach color. I like it for my older students and they had fun with it as it was different than what we have done before. Thanks for the great resource"
✅ What is included in 'WARM & COOL TREE SCAPES' ?
A 40+ PDF slide deck teaching guide for step-by-step guidance and reference, intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. Select VIEW > enter full screen. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
✅ This PDF includes step-by-step support & teaching instructions for:
- 2 x full resources in both US spelling and UK spelling conventions - delete one
- Color / colour temperature theory teaching slides
- Suggested Video links - YouTube support video
- Artist model teaching slides
- Links to examples of artist's contemporary works
- Detailed instructions to create a student response Mini Masterpiece
- Photographs of every step
- Examples of work in progress and completed
- Printable sheet for recording Student Voice reflection/ assessment of learning (2/pg. to save printing, print on B&W setting)
- Extension ideas for the Mini Masterpiece art project
- Themed bulletin board header, borders and pennant flags for a unified display
✅ What knowledge, techniques and skills will my students learn from this series?
- Gain knowledge about art theories, styles and movements
- Gain knowledge about art history
- Become familiar with important artists and their work
- Follow a tutorial for guidance - listening skills, visual discrimination, sequencing
- Develop fine-motor & technical skills for using a range of art tools and media
- Respond to art created by artists and by other students
- Reflect on own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork - using the included student sheets
✅ That sounds great! So what about the Visual Art focus in this lesson?
- Introduced to colour / color theory as an element of art.
- Explore Color / colour temperature (Warm-Cool)
- View support videos on color / colour
- Explore the work of a contemporary artist
- Observe & understand the Art World (Studio Habits)
- Build skills for observational & guided drawing
- Explore art making that expresses new learning
- Build skills using markers, pencils & tracing stencils
- Stretch & Explore (Studio Habits)
- PLAN - compose drawings lightly (gentle pressure) using lines and shapes
- Develop Craft, Engage & Persist, Express (Studio Habits)
- Reflect on personal development as an artist
- Reflect (Studio Habits)
✅ 3 X Bonus inclusion:
- This resource also includes a bulletin board display sign to accompany the art work produced by students.
- Colour Pixels style bulletin board borders & flags
- Colour Pixels style pennant flags to make up with the words: 'WARM OR COOL TREE SCAPES'
View the PDF & Video Previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you have just saved yourself heaps of time and effort!
✅ Where can I find more art lessons like this one?
→ You can browse all my art lessons and support resources provided as PDF presentation lesson HERE: VISUAL ART STORE
→ If you would prefer the added support of guided video tutorials, browse my growing collection in this custom category HERE: ART LESSONS WITH VIDEO TUTORIALS
→ For my other Elements of Art lessons, click HERE: ART ELEMENTS
✅ Is this product available on TPT?
Yes - you can find this product in my TPT store - One Teacher's Journey - HERE
and gain access to my Free Resources Category.
Easily find your next teaching resource here and receive updates, reminders for upcoming sales and preview of latest releases.
View all the previews above before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me through Q & A, BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️Would you recommend this lesson to your colleagues? Then please return to rate & comment as this helps to inform other teachers about how this product brought value to your teaching.
Every care is taken with editing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. If you have any questions, contact me through Q & A, and be specific in your request so that I can make those improvements and give you, and others the best quality lesson plans.
Review the TOUs in the PDF preview prior to purchasing.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn