- Visual Art
- Art Lesson Plans K-2
- Art lesson plan for birds, bees and butterfly POLLINATORS Sculpture 2nd grade+
Art lesson plan for birds, bees and butterfly POLLINATORS Sculpture 2nd grade+
When you're teaching about plant and flower pollination, and specifically about their symbiotic relationship with birds, bees and butterflies, this comprehensive 3D sculpture art lesson will further engaging your students in the topic.
This papier-mâché sculpture art project for elementary, will leave people stunned when they view your students' creations.
The lesson guides you through 3 choice options - birds, bees and butterflies to give your students ownership over what they choose to make. They will enjoy expressing their personal ideas and creating unique pollinator sculptures that they can be proud of.
This papier-mâché Sculpture Art lesson plan for birds, bees and butterfly POLLINATORS is ideal for 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade and 5th grade. The student examples in the tutorial were created by my 2nd graders, aged 7.
I have also enlarged this project to make oversized sculpture for exhibitions with 5th grades, aged 10-11.
This is a comprehensive visual art lesson plan using wire & papier-mâché, paint, painted paper, and tissue paper. It will guide your students through creating artworks of flying pollinators that seem to defy gravity. They will learn about using armatures, creating in 3 dimensions, simple papier-mâché techniques & differentiating between different pollinators through colour, pattern and texture.
This lesson has tons of built in choice for differentiation, while keeping the skills taught consistent across the class, to save your sanity. A great project to further develop fine-motor skills.
❤️ take the guesswork out of teaching art,
❤️ avoid endless hours of research,
❤️ avoid the epic fails that result from not having the time to trial the lesson or media yourself before teaching it.
I’ve done it all for you and trailed this lesson with my own students, in both 2nd grade, as well as with my 3rd-5th grade art clubs.
❤️ why should you trust my lessons?
I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practising as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school. I do this every day, just like you!
❤️ How will this resource help busy teachers, who are nervous about teaching art?
No worries - I’ve got you covered.
This lesson is designed as a full colour PDF teacher guide, with a bumper 60+ page slide deck, where all steps are clearly explained and photographed, from start to finish, giving you the confidence to deliver a series of quality visual art lessons to your students.
❤️ All the materials & skills are also clearly listed for you. It’s like having an art specialist with you in your classroom.
The PDF slides are intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. This extra visual support will prove useful to you and your students, particularly diverse learners, and will also save you from having to repeat the same instructions, over and over again.
Select VIEW > enter full screen for presentation mode. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
Encourage students along the way, to follow choice options and create their unique artwork, while being guided by the information on the slides.
⏰ How long will this project take to finish?
This art project will span multiple lessons, depending on the age and stage of students and the size of sculpture you choose to make. Chunk into small manageable lessons, to allow for sections to dry, before continuing. Around 6-8 sessions.
View the PDF & Video previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you will soon have beautiful sculptures, relevant to your inquiry units, on display and students glowing with pride!
❤️ So what is special about this resource?
As a specialist in this field, I write purposeful lessons that develop art, thinking and creativity skills, while making meaningful connections to other subject areas.
- woking with size and 3D form (Math: measurement & geometry),
- supports vocabulary and literacy (Picture books),
- consolidated pollination and symbiosis concepts (Science)
- teaches art media and art processes (How the world works & How we express ourselves).
✏️ This lesson plan can be adapted for seasonal use at Spring time and Summer because these are the seasons when pollinators are the most active.
✏️ Students can express their unique ideas through personal choices and modifications, while working through the guided project. Pause the presentation in places to discuss next steps with students, check understanding and explore potential student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. This addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork objectives in a purposeful way.
Teachers who have used another Spring 3D lesson plan - SPRING FLOWERS guided art lesson for 3D painted paper 1st-3rd grade - say:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "did this with my first grade class. Took us about 4 art classes to complete. Turned out so absolutely beautiful that they were displayed in the school foyer" - Ronda F (TPT).
✅ What is included in Sculpture Art lesson plan for birds, bees and butterfly POLLINATORS?
A 60+ page PDF slide deck for step-by-step guidance and reference, intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. Select VIEW > enter full screen. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
✅ This PDF includes step-by-step support & teaching instructions:
- Materials list
- Visuals for reference
- Informational text for each type of pollinator
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- Student and teacher examples of work in progress and completed. (2nd grade)
- Guidance for assessment - Learning Intentions included for the International Baccalaureate & New Zealand standards at levels 2 / Phase 2 which will closely aligned to assessment standards you may be using
- Guidance and examples for Student Voice reflection/ assessment - either use orally with the slide, or print for students to fill out as a record of their learning. Alternatively export that slide as a jpeg from the PDF and post for digital reflections like Seesaw. 3 versions included.
✅ What knowledge, techniques and skills will my students learn?
- Close observation - seeing details, similarities and differences
- Plan a 3D sculpture composition
- Follow a tutorial for guidance - listening skills, visual discrimination, sequencing
- Develop fine-motor & technical skills for using glue, paper & wire, scissors, paint, adding detail & working accurately
- Respond to art created by other students
- Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork - using the included student sheets - share on screen for oral reflection or print out for student’s records.
✅ That sounds great! So what about the Visual Art focus?
- Build skills for observational & guided art processes, (Studio Habits)
- Build knowledge for the art element of 3D form
- Build skills for papier-mâché sculpture (Studio Habits)
- PLAN - compose a sculpture from parts
✅ Bonus inclusion:
- This project also aligns to the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme art curriculum
- Stencils to print and cut out for students
View the PDF & Video Previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you have just saved yourself heaps of time and effort!
✅ Where can I find more art lessons like this one?
→ You can browse all my art lessons HERE:
→ If you would prefer the added support of guided video tutorials, browse my growing collection in this custom category HERE:
⭐️ Register as a member on the website and receive updates when new products are added to the store.
View all the previews above before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️ If you value this lesson plan, please return to rate & comment as this helps to inform other teachers about how this product brought value to your teaching. Every review earns you discount credits on future purchases.
Every care is taken with editing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. If you have any questions, contact me and be specific in your request so that I can make those improvements and give you, and others the best quality lesson plans.
Review the TOUs in the PDF preview prior to purchasing.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn