Collage Art project for GNOMES lesson plan 1st-3rd grade
When you are looking for a fun and engaging art project for early elementary, you can't go past this super cute lesson plan for Little Gnomes. With a strong focus on developing junior art skills and fine motor skills, this will prove a favourite, time and time again.
With many choice options built into the lesson, your students will enjoy expressing their personal ideas and creating unique gnomes that they can be proud of.
GNOMES Art project for Collage lesson plan 1st-3rd grade is a comprehensive visual art lesson plan for oil pastels & painted paper collage that will guide your students through creating artworks of gnomes. They will learn about using stencils, composing images from several parts, and colouring hair texture by blending multiple colour values.
This lesson has tons of built in choice for differentiation, while keeping the skills taught consistent across the class, to save your sanity. Also a great way to use up all that painted paper you create during painting projects when you use up the left over paints.
Also suits paper scraps like wrapping paper and scrapbooking paper, or older students can make their own painted papers.
❤️ Take the guesswork out of teaching art, avoid the epic fails that result from not having the time to trial the lesson or media yourself before teaching it.
I’ve done it all for you and trailed this lesson with my own students, aged 6-7, in First and Second grades and could definitely suit older students too, with some difficulty inclusions.
I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practising as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
❤️ How will this resource help busy teachers, who are nervous about teaching art?
No worries - I’ve got you covered.
This lesson comes as a full colour PDF teacher guide, with a bumper 48+ slide deck, where all steps are clearly explained and photographed, from start to finish, giving you the confidence to deliver a series of quality visual art lessons to your students.
❤️ All the materials & skills are also clearly listed for you. It’s like having an art specialist with you in your classroom.
The PDF slides are intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. This extra visual support will prove useful to you and your students, particularly diverse learners, and will also save your from having to repeat the same instructions, over and over again.
Select VIEW > enter full screen for presentation mode. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
Encourage students along the way, to follow choice options and create their unique artwork, while being guided by the information on the slides.
⏰ How long will this project take to finish?
This art project will span multiple lessons, depending on the age and stage of students and the size of paper /media/ style you or your students choose. Chunk into small manageable lessons, to allow for paint to dry. Between 3-6 lessons, depending on whether you include one of the background options suggested.
View the PDF & Video previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you will soon have beautiful artwork on the walls and students glowing with pride!
❤️ So what is special about this resource?
As a specialist in this field, I write purposeful lessons that develop art, thinking and creativity skills, while making meaningful connections to other subject areas.
- The drawing tutorial with stencils works with shapes (Math),
- supports vocabulary and literacy (Picture books),
- teaches art media and art processes (How the world works & How we express ourselves).
✏️ This lesson plan can be adapted for seasonal use at Christmas because in Scandinavia, gnomes (known as nisse in Norway or tomte Sweden) are associated with the Christmas season. Much like the American Santa Claus, and basically Kris Kringle in gnome form, gnomes visit the homes of good children on Christmas Eve. The children leave a bowl of porridge for the gnome, and in return, the 'julenisse' brings presents to their front door.
✏️ Students can express their unique ideas through personal choices and modifications, while working through the guided project. Pause the presentation in places to discuss next steps with students, check understanding and explore potential student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. This addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork objectives in a purposeful way.
Teachers who have used another collage lesson plan - COLLAGE PORTRAITS Art Project inspired by FAIRY TALES - say:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "We used this as a unique twist on self portraits. My students thought this was really fun and different than just drawing ourselves. What a great lesson!
— Janet A. "
✅ What is included in GNOMES Art project for Collage lesson plan?
A 48+ PDF slide deck teaching guide for step-by-step guidance and reference, intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. Select VIEW > enter full screen. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
✅ This PDF includes step-by-step support & teaching instructions:
- Materials list
- Visuals for reference
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- student and teacher examples of work in progress and completed. (1st-2nd grade)
- guidance for assessment - Learning Intentions included for the International Baccalaureate & New Zealand standards at levels 2 / Phase 2 which will closely aligned to assessment standards you may be using
- guidance and examples for Student Voice reflection/ assessment - either use orally with the slide, or print for students to fill out as a record of their learning. Alternatively export that slide as a jpeg from the PDF and post for digital reflections like Seesaw. 3 versions.
✅ What knowledge, techniques and skills will my students learn?
- Plan compositions
- Follow a tutorial for guidance - listening skills, visual discrimination, sequencing
- Develop fine-motor & technical skills for using stencils, scissors, oil pastels, adding contextual detail & working accurately
- Respond to art created by other students
- Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork - using the included student sheets - share on screen for oral reflection or print out for student’s records.
✅ That sounds great! So what about the Visual Art focus?
- Build skills for observational & guided art processes, (Studio Habits)
- Build knowledge for colour theory - colour value
- Build skills for colour blending & texture effects (Studio Habits)
- Develop an understanding for the art elements of OLOUR VALUE, SHAPE & SPACE
- PLAN - compose a collage image from parts
✅ Bonus inclusion:
- This project also aligns to the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme art curriculum
- Stecils to print and cut out for students
View the PDF & Video Previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you have just saved yourself heaps of time and effort!
✅ Where can I find more art lessons like this one?
→ You can browse all my art lessons and support resources provided as PDF presentation lesson HERE: VISUAL ART STORE
→ If you would prefer the added support of guided video tutorials, browse my growing collection in this custom category HERE: ART LESSONS WITH VIDEO TUTORIALS
⭐️ Register as a member of this site to access the FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY
Receive updates, reminders for upcoming sales and preview of latest releases.
View all the previews before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me through BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️ If you value this lesson plan, please return to rate & comment as this helps to inform other teachers about how this product brought value to your teaching.
Every care is taken with editing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. If you have any questions, contact me through Q & A, and be specific in your request so that I can make those improvements and give you, and others the best quality lesson plans.
Review the TOUs in the PDF preview prior to purchasing.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey on TPT © Help Me Learn