Landscape Art project for COLOUR VALUE with lesson plan 2nd-4th grade
COLOUR VALUE LANDSCAPES is a comprehensive visual art lesson plan for paint & oil pastel that will guide your students through creating artworks of trees on a hillside in a season of your choice. Students will love creating this unique and impactful art project that has a strong focus on the Element of Colour (Value) and the Colour Blocking painting technique. Learn about why as artists, we need to use multiple values in any hue and build painting skills with different paint brushes and tools.
Are you teaching a unit related to plant life cycles, seasons, Sharing the Planet or How The World Works? Here is an impactful Art lesson plan that also helps to consolidate your student's Inquiry learning.
This lesson has tons of built in choice for differentiation, while keeping the skills taught consistent across the class, to save your sanity.
❤️ Take the guesswork out of teaching art, avoid the epic fails that result from not having the time to trial the lesson or media yourself before teaching it.
I’ve done it all for you and trailed this lesson with my own students, aged 7, in 1st-2nd grades and would definitely suit older students too.
I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practising as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
❤️ How will this resource help busy teachers, who are nervous about teaching art?
No worries - I’ve got you covered.
This lesson comes as a full colour PDF teacher guide, with a bumper 30+ slide deck, where all steps are clearly explained and photographed, from start to finish, giving you the confidence to deliver a series of quality visual art lessons to your students.
❤️ All the materials & skills are also clearly listed for you. It’s like having an art specialist with you in your classroom.
The PDF slides are intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. This extra visual support will prove useful to you and your students, particularly diverse learners, and will also save your from having to repeat the same instructions, over and over again.
Select VIEW > enter full screen for presentation mode. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
Encourage students along the way, to follow choice options and create their unique artwork, while being guided by the information on the slides.
⏰ How long will this project take to finish?
This art project will span multiple lessons, depending on the age and stage of students and the size of paper /media/ style you or your students choose. Chunk into small manageable lessons, to allow for paint to dry. Between 4-6 lessons.
View the PDF & Video previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you will soon have beautiful artwork on the walls and students glowing with pride!
❤️ So what is special about this resource?
COLOUR VALUE LANDSCAPES is NOT a superficial art or craft option. As a specialist in this field, I write lessons that encourage deeper, cross-curricular learning and make meaningful connections to other subject areas. This IS:
- a drawing tutorial that uses shapes (Math),
- supports the concept of Seasonal cycles and their effects (Science),
- supports the concept about protecting out natural world (Science)
- teaches about the concept of change (How the world works, Science & Visual Art).
This lesson plan can be the perfect companion art project for students inquiring into
✏️ Seasons & Weather - and its effects on nature,
✏️ Change - seasonal cycles, color (colour) theory
✏️ Earth Day
✏️ Landscapes & trees
✏️ How The World Works & Sharing the Planet (IB PYP)
✏️ And a great extension activity for shared picture books.
Students can express their unique ideas through personal choices and modifications, while working through the guided project. Pause the presentation in places to discuss next steps with students, check understanding and explore potential student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. This addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork objectives in a purposeful way.
This is a new listing but teachers who have used one of my other lesson plans - CLAUDE MONET WATERLILY - say:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "First came across your work on Pinterest, and have to say, I love everything you come up with. You are one super talented teacher!! I did this unit with my Year 7/8s a couple of years ago. The results were amazing and the students absolutely loved it. They were so proud of their results, and your resource made it so easy. You included so much in this incredibly thorough resource that I really didn't have to do very much at all. Thank-you!"
✅ What is included in COLOUR VALUE LANDSCAPES Art project with lesson plan?
A 30+ PDF slide deck teaching guide for step-by-step guidance and reference, intentionally designed in landscape orientation, to share with your students as a presentation on your large screen. Select VIEW > enter full screen. Then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to drive a smooth slideshow experience, like a pro :)
✅ This PDF includes step-by-step support & teaching instructions for:
- Materials list
- Visuals for reference
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- student and teacher examples of work in progress and completed. (1st-2nd grade)
- guidance for assessment - Learning Intentions included for the International Baccalaureate & New Zealand standards at levels 2 / Phase 2 which will closely aligned to assessment standards you may be using
- guidance and examples for Student Voice reflection/ assessment - either use orally with the slide, or print for students to fill out as a record of their learning. Alternatively export that slide as a jpeg from the PDF and post for digital reflections like Seesaw. 3 versions.
✅ What knowledge, techniques and skills will my students learn?
- Plan compositions
- Follow a tutorial for guidance - listening skills, visual discrimination, sequencing
- Develop fine-motor & technical skills for using paint & brushes, oil pastels, adding contextual detail & working accurately
- Respond to art created by other students
- Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork - using the included student sheets (share on screen for oral reflection or print out for student’s records.
✅ That sounds great! So what about the Visual Art focus?
- Build skills for observational & guided drawing, (Studio Habits)
- Build knowledge for colour theory - colour value
- Build skills for colour blocking & painting effects to add 3D form & texture (Studio Habits)
- Develop an understanding for the art elements of COLOUR VALUE, 3D FORM & SPACE
- PLAN - compose drawings lightly (gentle pressure) using lines and shapes
- Use the art element of SPACE by layering hills & trees to create depth
✅ Bonus inclusion:
This project also aligns to the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme art curriculum
View the PDF & Video Previews above, then add to cart and smile, knowing you have just saved yourself heaps of time and effort!
✅ Where can I find more art lessons like this one?
→ You can browse all my art lessons and support resources provided as PDF presentation lesson HERE: VISUAL ART STORE
→ If you would prefer the added support of guided video tutorials, browse my growing collection in this custom category HERE: ART LESSONS WITH VIDEO TUTORIALS
→ For my other Elements of Art lessons, click HERE: ART ELEMENTS
⭐️ Register as a member of this site to access the FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY
Receive updates, reminders for upcoming sales and preview of latest releases.
View all the previews before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me through BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️ If you value this lesson plan, please return to rate & comment as this helps to inform other teachers about how this product brought value to your teaching.
Every care is taken with editing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. If you have any questions, contact me through Q & A, and be specific in your request so that I can make those improvements and give you, and others the best quality lesson plans.
Review the TOUs in the PDF preview prior to purchasing.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey on TPT © Help Me Learn