- Visual Art
- Art Lesson Plans 3-5
- Pīwakawaka in the Ponga
Pīwakawaka in the Ponga
PĪWAKAWAKA in the PONGA (Fantail bird in the Tree Fern) is the third in a series of 4 lesson plans focused on Birds in their habitats and set in a New Zealand context. Use this comprehensive art lesson plan to guide your next art project in grades 4-8, using paints and oil pastels.
Includes a 45 pg. PDF teaching support document that demonstrates every step, supporting students with creating their unique drawings and paintings, while using the elements of SHAPE, COLOUR, TEXTURE, FORM & SPACE. Created with students aged 8-9, this lesson plan is aimed at grade 4, grade 5, grade 6 and middle school students.
Use with mid - upper elementary learners in a series of consecutive lessons. Encourage students to follow personal choice options and create their unique bird and tree artwork, with this guided lesson plan. Extend an inquiry unit based on Conservation or animals / birds and habitats. Make links to trans-disciplinary learning in areas like biomes, biodiversity and Sharing the Planet (IB (PYP).
This lesson plan focuses on the Art Elements of:
- COLOUR - warm / cool contrast, colour schemes to build FORM, SPACE & TEXTURE
- LINE - to compose and plan work, add texture
- SHAPE - use shapes to build the plant and bird elements
- FORM - show 3D form with colour value, light and shade
- SPACE - show with layering elements in the painting and over-laying the bird
- TEXTURE - developed with paint colours and marks, shadow and light, line marks,
The Lesson plan includes:
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- Student examples from mid primary/elementary
- Links to relevant support videos & websites
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 2 & 3 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 2 & 3 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Student handout template for reflections
You may also Find this FREE art technique video demonstrating the use of Liquid Water Colours, helpful for making the backgrounds - CLICK HERE
Materials you will need include:
- Wet grade art paper
- Student Acrylic paint
- Liquid water colours (dye)
- Oil pastels
- Plastic glue spreaders and PVA glue
- Photographs & line drawings Fantails & Tree ferns
All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students. Includes opportunities for student choice. Media and techniques are fully illustrated, and can be adapted to your requirements. Work examples created by students in Year 4 (aged 8-9 yrs).
Makes links to trans-disciplinary learning in areas like: conservation, animals, biodiversity & biomes
Landscape PDF Presentation consists of over 45 slides (pages).
Want more lessons like this one?
- Birds in Trees Part 1 - Swamp Hen in the Flax / Pukeko in the Harakeke
- Birds in Trees Part 2 - Tui in the Kowhai
- Birds in Trees Part 4 - Wood pigeon in the Palm / Keruru in the Nikau
Suits: most mid-upper primary/ elementary grades and middle school
Children will: learn to draw & paint ferns, draw & colour birds
Learning intentions include: Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, Explore the elements of Art, Develop planning & composition skills, Apply theoretical learning to own ideas, Develop technical skills for drawing, Select colour schemes for oil pastels and paint. Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork.
Media demonstrated: paints and oil pastels
Materials used: A3* art paper - white wet grade, A4* art paper - black, drawing pencil, liquid & acrylic paints, oil pastels
*A4 = 8.5 by 11 inches (215.9 by 279.4 mm) A3 = double A4
The video preview is a very quick overview of some slides included in the PDF. I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practicing as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
Also included in the support documents are:
- Learning Intentions for the IB PYP and NZC at level 2 + 3 / Phase 2 + 3 but these will closely match LO's from other art curriculums.
- Student Voice reflection/ assessment guides
Find comprehensive visual art PDF lesson plans in the following sub-categories:
And view my growing collection of video art tutorials
⭐️I would love for you to leave a rating and review to let me know what you think and
other teachers value your feedback so please leave a detailed review once you have used this resource.
Every care is taken with editing and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement and give you, and others the best quality lesson plans ⭐️
Preview the photos and video before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
Review these TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom or home, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal and use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn