WINTER KIDS video art lesson plan for posable figures suits grades 2-3
Winter Kids video art lesson plan for posable figures, suits grades 2-3, or older. This instructional video demonstrates, and supports students, to use the elements of SHAPE, LINE & TEXTURE in their artwork.
Use with mid elementary learners in a series of consecutive lessons. Encourages students to follow choice options and create their unique version of the figures demonstrated.
This lesson plan focuses on:
- Draw shapes to compose an image
- Combine separate parts in a variety of ways
- Create detail and texture with line
Create these cute water coloured figures of children dressed for winter, with your students. Learn about using shapes to structure a drawing, creating a whole, from separate parts, decorating and adding texture with types of line, and the technique of using water colour pencils.
Drawing guides have been included in this PDF for those that need it.
Teaching this lesson can be a meaningful art project for students whose learning connects to a Science topics focused on weather and the winter season (How The World Works - IB PYP). Or even link to a book character study.
Students can express their ideas through the clothing design, patterns, colour choices, possessions and pose of their figure. Extend further by creating original backgrounds. Also makes a great extension for a shared picture book.
This is a fully narrated video tutorial that demonstrates all drawing steps in real time.
Benefits of using a video lesson:
- The lesson has already been tested
- All steps are viewable from start to finish
- Techniques are demonstrated
- Rewind and rewatch as many times as needed
- Narrated explanation adds depth to understanding art theories
- Its like having an art specialist in your classroom or home
- Encourages independence in learners and self management
- Allows for students to work at their individual pace
- Hosted on YouTube (unlisted) and accessed from the link in the PDF support document
- Not cluttering up your hard drive
- Added benefit of PL in Visual Art teaching for the purchasing classroom teacher
- Includes a PDF lesson companion with support information
- Lockdown Remote Teaching: Limited permission is granted for the purchasing teacher only, to live stream through screen sharing with their class, strictly limited for remote teaching during a government mandated lockdown
Stream the video lesson through a large screen for your child or students to follow along, pausing in places for them to complete the steps at their own pace, or rewind and rewatch when needed.
This method can also offer time for opportunities to explore student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. Addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork concepts.
Suits: most mid primary/ elementary grades and homeschooling families.
Children will: learn to create parts of a figure and combine into a posable character, line patterns and shapes, work with water coloured pencils
Learning intentions include: Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, Draw from imagination, Colouring, painting and cutting accurately, Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own artwork, skills and progress.
Media demonstrated: water coloured pencils
Materials used: A4* art paper for 1 figure or A3 for 2 figures, drawing pencil, black markers, water coloured pencils & paint brushes, scissors & glue
*A4 = 8.5 by 11 inches (215.9 by 279.4 mm)
The video preview is a very short clip from the actual resource to give you an idea of my teaching style. I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practicing as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
Also included in the support documents are:
- Learning Intentions for the IB PYP and NZC at levels 1&2 / Phases 1&2 but these will closely match LO's from other art curriculums.
- Student Voice reflection/ assessment guides
Educators, more confident in visual art delivery, can browse my comprehensive PDF lesson plans in the following sub-categories:
Please leave a rating and review to let me know what you think of this new video lessons, either here or on Youtube.
View my growing collection of video art tutorials
ABOUT VIDEO STREAMING
“Video” is a new product type on Help Me Learn where I aim to share best strategies, tips, and instructional practices through an unlisted video that can only be viewed from my YouTube account, accessed only through the link in the PDF Download. Video resources cannot be downloaded to your computer or device. Instead, you can view them on-line, so you don’t have to download a large video file. You will have access to the file as long as you retain the link you receive in the downloadable resource PDF.
Review these TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom or home, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal and use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn