ENDANGERED SPECIES art lesson plan for Conservation theme suits Grades 4-7
ENDANGERED SPECIES art lesson plan was created to support trans-disciplinary learning for a Conservation theme. The purpose is to intentionally guide student CHOICE INQUIRY in art, with a focus on student AGENCY. Teachers only establish the context, provide access to materials that students need/ choose and guide/ support as needed. Best suits upper elementary and middle school students in Grades 4-7, who are familiar with personal inquiry learning, like PBL, IB or TAB.
This is NOT a 'Cookie Cutter' Teacher directed drawing lesson!
ENDANGERED SPECIES will provide a term's worth of classroom lessons and is designed to maximise student voice, choice and ownership for the art that they plan and create, each in their own unique and personal styles. When linked directly to a classroom inquiry, the content included by the student in their work can be viewed as one assessment tool for conceptual understandings, such as:
'communicating important messages about endangered species, and our responsibilities about taking action to conserve them'
Students will come to understand that visual art is a purposeful and powerful way of communicating important messages to an audience. This quality teaching guide will help you to confidently engage students in purposeful visual art lessons, that they will love.
- Teacher guides students through provocations and creative constructs
- Content, form and media of the creative expression is entirely devised by the students, to be original, personal and relevant to their inquiry
Guiding Lines of Inquiry for Responding:
- People explore issues, beliefs and values through art.
- We use what we know to interpret art and deepen our understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
Guiding Lines of Inquiry for Creating:
- We make connections between our artwork and that of others to extend our thinking.
- Arts have the power to influence thinking and behaviour.
All steps are clearly explained and includes photographs of real life student results (not staged), giving you the confidence to deliver quality art lessons, with known expectations. Your students could produce a range of 2D and 3D artworks in a variety of media. Over 80 pages of information in landscape PDF format.
This Resource Includes:
- classroom posters for Dry Media and Wet Media categories in US & UK versions
- suggested central idea and lines of inquiry
- provocation links suggested include book, image and video formats
- lesson guides for provocation, observational drawing, subject selection, prototyping, media selection, making and reflecting
- teacher questions to drive collaborative discussions, feedback and next steps
The number of media centre options that you offer, is up to you. Ten centres have been explained in this guide.
Basic set up guide for the following media centres, with photographs of real life student results (not staged) from ages 9-11:
- Acrylic Paint
- Water Colour Paints
- Drawing & colouring
- Oil Pastels
- Mixed media
- Scale up with grids
- Student reflection guides for completed inquiry
- Links to IB PYP Phase 3 curriculum standards
- Links to New Zealand Level 3 curriculum standards
View a short video excerpt below.
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn