AUTUMN INSECTS QUEST multi lesson art video tutorial suits Gr 3-6
Perfect Autumn art project inspired by the Fall season and the world of tiny insects. This is a fully narrated video tutorial art lesson and demonstrates how to use the art elements of LINE, COLOUR, SHAPE, FORM, SPACE & TEXTURE when creating artwork. Stream the video lesson on your large screen, save your voice and free yourself up to roam your classroom and support your child or students.
Use with mid - upper elementary learners in one of the following ways:
- Stream as an independent guided lesson to consolidate artistry skills and theoretical knowledge about the elements of art
- Share with the class as visual and theoretical motivation, before students create drawings with personal content, based on the elements demonstrated in the video lesson.
This lesson plan focuses on:
- Artists communicate ideas in both colour and monochromatic schemes
- Analogous colours can be used to create a mood
- Line can imply space and texture
Benefits of using a video lesson:
- The lesson has already been tested
- All steps are viewable from start to finish
- Techniques are demonstrated
- Rewind and rewatch as many times as needed
- Narrated explanation adds depth to understanding art theories
- Its like having an art specialist in your classroom or home
- Encourages independence in learners and self management
- Allows for students to work at their individual pace
- Hosted on YouTube (unlisted) and accessed from the link in the PDF support document
- Not cluttering up your hard drive
- Added benefit of PL in Visual Art teaching for the purchasing classroom teacher
- Lockdown Remote Teaching: Limited permission is granted for the purchasing teacher only, to live stream through screen sharing with their class, strictly limited for remote teaching during a government mandated lockdown.
Use with mid - upper elementary learners in a series of consecutive lessons. Create beautiful art work of Fall leaves in Autumn colours, with close-up pen drawings of student's favourite insects. Use as an extension of inquiry learning in Science.
Learn to blend colours with oil pastels & coloured pencils, structure drawings using stencils and basic shapes for compositions, use line to imply 3D form and texture.
Tie in with inquiry learning themes like: Science (Sharing the Planet IB PYP) - animal kingdom, insects, biomes, seasons, Autumn or Fall, life cycle of trees etc.
Assessment links and guides have been provided for NZC Levels 2 & 3, and IB PYP phases 2 & 3.
Stream the video lesson through a large screen for your child or students to follow along, pausing in places for them to complete the steps at their own pace, or rewind and rewatch when needed. This method can also offer time for opportunities to explore student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. Addresses the Viewing &
Responding to artwork concepts.
Suits: most grades 3-5 (ages 8+) and homeschooling families.
Children will create beautiful art work of leaves in Autumn colours, with close-up pen drawings of favourite insects in a magnifying glass, consolidating their conceptual understandings of Art Elements.
Learning intentions include: Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, consolidate the elements of Art, Develop planning & composition skills, Develop technical skills for blending with oil pastels and pencils. Compose drawings with stencils, Identify analogous colours, Use colours to communicate a mood, Use directional & gesture lines when drawing to achieve texture and depth, Layer elements for depth, Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork.
Media demonstrated: oil pastels, coloured pencils and markers
Materials needed: A4* and A3 art paper, pencil, black markers, in various nib thickness, coloured pencils and oil pastels, scissors, glue. Reference images of leaves and insects (some included)
*A4 = 8.5 by 11 inches (215.9 by 279.4 mm)
The video preview is a very short clip from the actual resource to give you an idea of my teaching style. I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practicing as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
Also included in the support documents are:
- Learning Intentions for the NZC at Levels 2 & 3, and IB PYP phases 2 & 3 but these will closely match LO's from other curriculums.
- Some pages, like the Student Voice reflection/assessment guides are in both UK & US spelling (delete the one you don't need from the PDF)
Educators, more confident in visual art delivery, can browse my comprehensive PDF lesson plans in the following sub-categories:
Please leave a rating and review to let me know what you think of my video lessons, either here or on Youtube.
View my growing collection of video art tutorials
ABOUT VIDEO STREAMING
“Video” is a new product type on Help Me Learn where I aim to share best strategies, tips, and instructional practices through an unlisted video that can only be viewed from my YouTube account, accessed only through the link in the PDF Download. Video resources cannot be downloaded to your computer or device. Instead, you can view them on-line, so you don’t have to download a large video file. You will have access to the file as long as you retain the link you receive in the downloadable resource PDF.
Review these TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom or home, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal and use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn