Art Lesson WOVEN FLOWER GARDENS inspired by Vincent Van Gogh (weaving)
This multi-lesson visual art plan is inspired by the work of Vincent Van Gogh and the cultural art form of weaving. Students create highly textured and colour filled artworks that will brighten their classroom space. A unique spin on much loved floral subject matter, like the Sunflowers of Vincent Van Gogh, or the woven putiputi (flowers) created by New Zealanders.
Extend Science inquiry units based on plants, reducing waste & recycling. Make links to trans-disciplinary learning in cultural crafts with Who We Are and How We Express Ourselves (IB PYP). Students will focus on the elements of texture & colour, with some extension into line. Landscape PDF Presentation consists of over 60 slides (pages).
This multi-lesson plan focuses on:
- Student lead inquiry into weaving as an art form
- The elements of art - texture, colour and line
- Guided & observation drawing
- Fine motor development
The Lesson plan includes:
- Information on contemporary textile artists
- Guidance for inquiry into weaving
- Resources and ideas for independent weaving learning centre
- Detailed instructions to create the woven background
- 3 media options demonstrated for the flower
- Information about using analogous colours
- Information about texture: real and implied
- Photographs of every step
- Student examples from middle & upper primary/elementary
- Links to relevant support videos and resources
- Bonus: narrated video tutorial created by me to illustrate the processes
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 3 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 3 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Note-taking template for research & questions
Materials you will need include:
- Wet grade art paper - 1 x A3 (white), 1 x A4 (white)
- Drawing pencil, black marker, scissors, school glue
- Acrylic paint, Kitchen sponges cut into chunky fingers and stubby paintbrush for the loom
- Coloured pencils, markers or liquid water colours for the flowers
- Reference materials as needed
*US paper sizing A3 = 11x17, A4 = 8.5x11
All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality, multi-lessons visual art learning to your students. Includes opportunities for student choice. Media and techniques are fully illustrated, and can be adapted to your requirements. Work examples created by students in Years 4, 5 and 6 (aged 8-11 yrs). The exemplar photos span several teaching years and show a variety of work by students.
FEEDBACK (sourced from my TPT store) - One Teacher's Journey
"Easy to follow and good results."
"Very easy to use. Thanks."
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️ If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating and recommending to other teachers. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn