CRAFTY CHAMELEON narrated video tutorial art lesson Grades 2-6 and homeschool
This video demonstrates how to draw and colour a chameleon on a branch. This is a fully narrated video tutorial that demonstrates using elements of COLOUR, LINE, SHAPE, FORM, SPACE & TEXTURE in real time, when composing artwork. Stream the video lesson on your large screen and free yourself up to roam your classroom and support your child or students.
Use with mid - upper elementary learners in a series of consecutive lessons.
This lesson plan focuses on the Art Elements of:
- COLOUR - a range of colour groupings are explained & demonstrated
- LINE & SHAPE - use a range of lines and shapes to build a drawing
- FORM - transform a flat 2D shape into a 3D form with shade, light and texture
- SPACE - by layering elements in a drawing
- TEXTURE - create with marks
Benefits of using a video lesson:
- The lesson has already been tested
- All steps are viewable from start to finish
- Techniques are demonstrated
- Rewind and rewatch as many times as needed
- Narrated explanation adds depth to understanding art theories
- Its like having an art specialist in your classroom or home
- Encourages independence in learners and self management
- Allows for students to work at their individual pace
- Hosted on YouTube (unlisted) and accessed from the link in the PDF support document
- Not cluttering up your hard drive
- Added benefit of PL in Visual Art teaching for the purchasing classroom teacher
- Lockdown Remote Teaching: Limited permission is granted for the purchasing teacher only, to live stream through screen sharing with their class, strictly limited for remote teaching during a government mandated lockdown.
Use to supplement any learning in Science focused on animals, biomes, adaptations, reptiles, etc., (Sharing the Planet - IB PYP).
Stream the video lesson through a large screen for your child or students to follow along, pausing in places for them to complete the steps at their own pace, or rewind and rewatch when needed. This method can also offer time for opportunities to explore student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. Addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork concepts.
Suits: most middle and upper primary / elementary grades and homeschooling families.
Children will: create an artwork of a chameleon on a branch with easily available art materials.
Learning intentions include: drawing with stencils and shapes, adding details, colouring techniques for markers and pencils, colour theory, adding shadow and texture
Media demonstrated: coloured pencils and markers
Materials needed: A4* white art paper, ruler, pencil, black markers, coloured pencils, coloured markers, circular stencils (like a cup and saucer size).
*A4 = 8.5 by 11 inches (215.9 by 279.4 mm)
The video preview is a very short clip from the actual resource to give you an idea of my teaching style. I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practicing as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
Also included in the support documents are:
- Learning Intentions for the NZC at Levels 2 & 3, and IB PYP phases 2 & 3.but these will closely match LO's from other curriculums.
- Student Voice reflection/assessment guides is UK & US spelling (delete the one you don't need from the PDF)
Educators, more confident in visual art delivery, can browse my comprehensive PDF lesson plans in the following sub-categories:
Please leave a rating and review to let me know what you think of my video lessons, either here or on Youtube.
View my growing collection of video art tutorials
ABOUT VIDEO STREAMING
“Video” is a new product type on Help Me Learn where I aim to share best strategies, tips, and instructional practices through an unlisted video that can only be viewed from my YouTube account, accessed only through the link in the PDF Download. Video resources cannot be downloaded to your computer or device. Instead, you can view them on-line, so you don’t have to download a large video file. You will have access to the file as long as you retain the link you receive in the downloadable resource PDF.
Review these TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom or home, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal and use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn