FANTAIL NZ Piwakawaka video tutorial art lesson Grades 1-2 and homeschool
How to draw and paint a New Zealand FANTAIL or PIWAKAWAKA bird. This is a fully narrated video tutorial that demonstrates all steps in real time. Stream the video lesson on your large screen and free yourself up to roam your classroom or home and support your students / children. Scroll down for a preview clip below.
Benefits of using a video lesson:
- The lesson has already been tested
- All steps are viewable from start to finish
- Techniques are demonstrated
- Rewind and rewatch as many times as needed
- Narrated explanation adds depth to understanding art theories
- Its like having an art specialist in your classroom or home
- Encourages independence in learners and self management
- Allows for students to work at their individual pace
- Hosted on YouTube (unlisted) and accessed from the link in the PDF support document
- Not cluttering up your hard drive
- Added benefit of PL in Visual Art teaching for the purchasing classroom teacher
- Lockdown Remote Teaching: Limited permission is granted for the purchasing teacher only, to live stream through screen sharing with their class, strictly limited for remote teaching during a government mandated lockdown.
Use to supplement any learning in Science topics like like animals, birds, biomes (Sharing the Planet - IB PYP) and a focus on New Zealand (Where We Are in Place & Time - IB PYP), or use as a response with a Literature study.
Stream the video lesson through a large screen for your child or students to follow along, pausing in places for them to complete the steps at their own pace, or rewind and rewatch when needed. This method can also offer time for opportunities to explore student responses or modifications, bringing personal creative ideas to the tutorial. Addresses the Viewing & Responding to artwork concepts.
Suits: most early primary and elementary grades, homeschooling families.
Children will: create an oil pastel and paint artwork of a Fantail / Piwakawaka bird, with easily available art materials.
Learning intentions include: Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, Colouring and blending with accuracy, Use colour with purpose, Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own artwork, skills and progress, and experience the Science concept of oil repelling water
Media demonstrated: Oil pastel and liquid water colour paints. With drying time, artwork can take between 1-2 lessons to complete.
Materials needed: A4* wet grade art paper, drawing pencil, black marker, oil pastels, liquid water colour paints
*A4 = 8.5 by 11 inches (215.9 by 279.4 mm)
The video preview below is a very short clip from the actual resource to give you an idea of my teaching style. I am both a general ed classroom teacher and currently practicing as a Visual Art and Digital Media specialist educator, teaching students from ages 4-12, at a primary school.
Also included in the support documents are:
- Learning Intentions for the IBPYP and NZC at level 1 / Phase 1 but these will closely match LO's from other curriculums.
- Student Voice reflection/assessment guides
Educators, more confident in visual art delivery, can browse my comprehensive PDF lesson plans in the following sub-categories:
Please leave a rating and review to let me know what you think of my video lessons, either here or on Youtube.
View my growing collection of video art tutorials
ABOUT VIDEO STREAMING
“Video” is a new product type on Help Me Learn where I aim to share best strategies, tips, and instructional practices through an unlisted video that can only be viewed from my YouTube account, accessed only through the link in the PDF Download. Video resources cannot be downloaded to your computer or device. Instead, you can view them on-line, so you don’t have to download a large video file. You will have access to the file as long as you retain the link you receive in the downloadable resource PDF.
Review these TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom or home, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal and use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn