AFRICAN SAVANNAH multi lesson art plan Grades 2-5
AFRICAN SAVANNAH is a comprehensive visual art lesson plan, that includes a PDF guide with instructions to teach all aspects of this visual art projects across multiple lessons. Also includes a demonstration video of the guided drawing process for 3 animal options students can choose from. Your students will create personal artworks encompassing a range of suggested art materials, which can be further inspired by an inquiry into animal kingdoms, Biomes and conservation. Students will get to focus on the elements of Shape, Form & Space while developing observational drawing techniques.
Students will learn about:
- using shapes to compose drawing
- turning shapes into forms with line types and shading
- composing an artwork to show depth of Space
The Lesson plan includes:
- Support resources and guides
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- Teacher & student examples from mid primary/elementary level
- Bonus: video created by me to illustrate the drawing processes
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 2 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 2 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Recording sheet for written reflections
Materials you will need include:
- Art paper
- Student oil pastels
- Liquid water colour paint
- Drawing pencil and black permanent markers
- Reference images (some provided)
This project will take multiple lesson to complete. All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students. Media and techniques are fully illustrated, with photographs and a bonus video tutorial. Work examples created by students in Year 3 (aged 7+ yrs).
Art Skills include:
changing pressure when drawing with stencils, Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, Explore shading, Identify analogous colours, Use colours to communicate ideas, arrange elements to communicate Space, Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own artwork, skills and progress.
This lesson plan links to trans-disciplinary learning in areas like: Science & Sharing the Planet (IB PYP) - animal kingdom, mammals, food chains in biomes, herbivores, conservation, etc., and Where we are in Place and Time (IB PYP) - African Savannah.
Landscape PDF Presentation consists of over 5O slides (pages).
View a short video excerpt below.
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn