STARRY SKIES for MATARIKI inspired by Van Gogh with oil pastels
STARRY SKIES for MATARIKI is a comprehensive visual art lesson plan is inspired by the painting of Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. This PDF lesson plan also includes a demonstration video of the process. Your students will compose and create oil pastel drawings of their choice, inspired by their personal pepeha, Matariki research and this master artist, one of the most influential of the last century, who developed an enduring style, inspiring many artists that followed.
Students will learn about :
- Vincent Van Gogh and Post-impressionism,
- Matariki and what it means to people in New Zealand
- observational & guided drawing,
- using principles of art to create art work
- oil pastel techniques to enhance art work
The Lesson plan includes:
- Background information about Vincent van Gogh, Starry Night and his inspirations
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- Teacher & student examples from upper primary/elementary
- Links to relevant support videos
- Bonus: video created by me to illustrate the processes
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 3 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 3 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Recording sheet for written reflections
Materials you will need include:
- Art paper
- Student oil pastels
- Drawing pencil
- Inspiration images (student choice)
All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students. Includes opportunities for student choice. Media and techniques are fully illustrated, with photographs and a video. Work examples created by students in Year 6 (aged 10-11 yrs).
Art Skills include: Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, Explore new ways of using oil pastels, Identify colour schemes using the colour wheel, Use colours to communicate ideas and feelings, Draw on research, knowledge and personal connections for inspiration, Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own artwork, skills and progress.
This lesson plan links to trans-disciplinary learning in areas like: Farm to Fork / Table, Family Histories, Our Community, Planet earth and beyond (Science), Sharing the Planet & How the World Works, Where we are in Place and Time (IB PYP) & Matariki celebrations.
Landscape PDF Presentation consists of over 42 slides (pages).
View a short video excerpt below.
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn