Art Lesson Post-impressionist Sunflowers inspired by Vincent Van Gogh (draw & paint)
This comprehensive visual art lesson plan is inspired by the Sunflower paintings of Vincent Van Gogh, one of the most influential artists of the last century, who developed an enduring style, inspiring many artists that followed. Your students will create paintings of sunflowers based on a flower of their choice and inspired by research and the master artist.
Students will learn about :
- Vincent Van Gogh and Post-impressionism,
- observational & guided drawing,
- colour theory, colour blending and paint effects,
- painting techniques to add texture,
- layering elements & using colour schemes to create depth
The Lesson plan includes:
- Background information of Vincent van Gogh, and his inspirations
- detailed instructions to create the artwork
- photographs of every step
- student examples from upper primary/elementary
- Links to relevant support videos
- Bonus: video created by me to illustrate the processes
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 3 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 3 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Note-taking template for research & questions
Materials you will need include:
- Wet grade art paper
- Student Acrylic paint
- Square cut flat paintbrushes
- Photographs of sunflowers (some included)
All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students. Includes opportunities for student choice. Media and techniques are fully illustrated, and can be adapted to your requirements. Work examples created by students in Year 6 (aged 10-11 yrs).
Makes links to trans-disciplinary learning in areas like: history, art history, Post-impressionism, Summer (seasons), Flowers (life cycle of plants), Farm to Fork, How We Express Ourselves and Where We Are in Place and Time.
Landscape PDF Presentation consists of over 25 slides (pages).
View a short video excerpt below.
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn