Art Lesson for Impressionist Sailboats inspired by Monet (draw & paint)
This visual art lesson plan suits grades 3 and up. It introduces students to the elements of colour and space. All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality art lessons to your students. Included are opportunities for student choice & differentiation for levels of fine-motor abilities.
Students create beautiful paintings of sailboats inspired by the work of Impressionist painter Claude Monet. Learn to use the painting technique called ‘tache’ for water and light, mix your own colours from the Primaries, and create art using the elements of Colour, Space & Texture.
- step-by-step lesson plan
- colour theory posters / teaching slides in US & UK spelling options
- assessment ideas.
This lesson plan focuses on:
- artists use colour to define, create illusion and communicate
- primary colours can be mixed, tinted and shaded to create colour schemes
- artists use colours to generate feelings and ideas
Art Skills include:
- Draw from memory and imagination,
- Draw from observations,
- Draw with tutorials,
- Explore new ways of painting (Tache),
- Identify colours in the colour wheel,
- Mix/blend colour schemes from primary colours,
- Tint (add white), shade (add black) or tone (add grey),
- Use colours to communicate ideas and feelings,
- Use directional lines in painting to achieve texture,
- Show Space by layering and positioning elements on the page,
- Respond to art created by artists and by my friends,
- Reflect on my own artwork, skills and progress
This step-by step teaching guide can be used for themes based around: Water is a finite resource (Science), Sport & recreation, Explorers and Sharing the Planet (IB (PYP)
Lesson includes opportunities for student agency in the process and student voice in the work product. This quality teaching guide will help you to confidently engage students in a purposeful visual art lesson through a context that your students will love.
View a short video excerpt below.
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn