Art Lesson - Protect Our Oceans (painting)
This visual art lesson plan is perfect for Earth Day and links to transdisciplinary learning in areas like: oceans and seas, science, literature, conservation & Sharing the Planet (IB PYP).
Written to support a unit of inquiry for children grades 1-3, selected youtube links have been included for both stories and nature footage to use as needed.
Introduce students to the concept that art is a means of communicating a message, and informing others about your perspective.
All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality art lessons to your students, who will produce an artwork of a seascape with sea animals of their choosing, to share about the beauty of our oceans. Included are opportunities for student choice to encourage creative thinking and originality.
Introduce students to:
- the element of colour
- drawing animals that live in our oceans
- painting sunset skies and
- painting water
Develop skills for:
- guided drawing
- wet on wet painting
- colour blending with stamping
- colour blending with oil pastels
- using stencils
- cutting & gluing
- drawing guides for shark, dolphin, orca, whale and Manta ray
- Curriculum links to IB PYP and NZ for assessment
- Reflection template for students
Lesson includes opportunities for student agency in the process and student voice in the work product. This quality teaching guide will help you to confidently engage students in a purposeful visual art lesson they will love.
- A3 wet grade art paper for the seascape
- A5 wet grade art paper (half A4) for the animals
- Liquid water colour paints (artist dye)
- Oil pastels
- Acrylic paint white, blue & black
- Drawing pencils, paintbrushes (large and small), black permanent markers, scissors, glue, ruler, CD for a circle stencil, kitchen sponge cut into 2x2cm ‘fingers’
- Own reference images / photos of sharks, dolphins, whales, orca, manta ray (not included)
- Optional: light table or windows if needed/wanted
*US paper sizing A3 = 11x17, A4 = 8.5x11
View a short video excerpt below.
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️ If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating and recommending to other teachers. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn