Art Lesson PORTRAITS - This is Me (paint and markers)
THIS IS ME back to school portraits is a comprehensive visual art lesson plan inspired by US contemporary artist, Eden Gasior. A great way to create portrait art at the start or end of the year for getting to know each other. Exploring the uniqueness of self with motivational quotes and favourite personal subject matter. Combine with a unit on New beginnings at the start of a new year. Alternatively, as a wrap-up of personal development at the end of the school year. A popular and bold option for Calendar Art fundraising as well. All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students. Includes opportunities for student choice and work produced by each students will be unique and personal.
Students will build skills in :
- self portrait photography,
- painting with liquid water colour (dye),
- patterning and colour schemes.
The Lesson plan includes:
- Background information about artist model Eden Gosier.
- Detailed instructions to create the artwork
- Photographs of every step
- Teacher example
- Student examples from upper primary/elementary
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 3 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 3 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Note-taking template for research & response
- PDF teaching guide consists of 50 slides (pages).
Materials you will need include:
- Wet grade art paper
- Liquid water colours (artist dye)
- Student photographs
- Access to inspiration materials like patterns, quotes, colour schemes, etc
View a short video excerpt below.
"Thank you, all the hard work is done. Can't wait to use this in my class"
"Excellent, easy to follow instructions with beautiful examples to inspire."
"This was comprehensive and easy to use. Thank you!"
"Great activity for calendar art. My students are very excited and have already taken a pile of photos to choose from. Could also do a bit of a focus on photography - camera angles etc Thanks for the inspiration"
Use in conjunction with this poetry lesson:
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn