Art lesson MONET - Magical Gardens with Waterlily Pond (oil pastel and paint)
This comprehensive visual art lesson plan is inspired by the work of Claude Monet, one of the most influential artists of the last century, who developed an enduring style, inspiring many artists that followed. Your students will create artwork of large waterlily flowers floating on a pond.
Students will learn about :
- Claude Monet’s life and art,
- observational drawing,
- tonal shading with pencils & oil pastels,
- colour families,
- colour blending and paint effects,
- layering elements to create depth
The Lesson plan includes:
- Biography of the artist, Claude Monet
- detailed instructions to create the artwork
- photographs of every step
- student examples from middle primary/elementary
- Links to relevant support videos
- Bonus: 3 process videos created by me to illustrate the processes
- Links to the New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Lesson summery sheet
- Guidance for teacher assessment and student reflection options
- Curriculum links to Level 2 New Zealand Visual Art Curriculum
- Curriculum Links to Phase 2 Responding & Creating for IB PYP
- Student Voice guidance for reflections
- Note-taking template for research & questions
Materials you will need include:
- Wet grade art paper - 1 x A3 (white), 1 x A4 (white), 1 x A4 (black)
- Oil pastels
- Student Acrylic paint
- Kitchen sponges cut into chunky fingers
- PVA glue, scissors, drawing pencils, old paint brushes for glue
- Photographs of water lilies in colour and greyscale (close-up & clear)
*US paper sizing A3 = 11x17, A4 = 8.5x11
All steps are clearly explained and photographed, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students. Includes opportunities for student choice. Media and techniques are fully illustrated, and can be adapted to your requirements. Work examples created by students aged 8-9 yrs. The exemplar photos span several teaching years and show a variety of work by students.
Makes links to transdisciplinary learning in areas like: history, art history, Impressionism, writing biographies, How We Express Ourselves and
Who We Are.
Landscape PDF Presentation consists of over 40 slides (pages).
All steps are clearly explained and illustrated, giving you the confidence to deliver quality visual art lessons to your students.
CUSTOMER FEEDBACK (from my TPT store)
"This was a lot of fun and the student products turned out beautifully. The kids were really pleased with their results."
"First came across your work on Pinterest, and have to say, I love everything you come up with. You are one super talented teacher!! I did this unit with my Year 7/8s a couple of years ago and forgot to post feedback. But the results were amazing and the students absolutely loved it. They were so proud of their results, and your resource made it so easy. You included so much in this incredibly thorough resource that I really didn't have to do very much at all. Thank-you!"
"I can't say enough about this activity! My students really enjoyed the process, and the finished product was admired by all in the building! Thank you!"
I used this for my grade 3-6 kids and my gosh they were amazing!!!!!!! Thank you :)
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️ If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating and recommending to other teachers. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn