- Visual Art
- Art Lesson Plans K-2
- Abstract Art and Dot Day KANDINSKY's GARDEN multi lesson plan Grades 1-3 (collage)
Abstract Art and Dot Day KANDINSKY's GARDEN multi lesson plan Grades 1-3 (collage)
Abstract Art and Dot Day KANDINSKY's GARDEN multi lesson plan for Grades 1-3, introduces students to the wonderful media of paper painting and collage, inspired by the works of Russian painter Wassily Kandinsky - the father of abstraction.
This is a great art unit to combine with literacy learning based on ‘The Dot’ by Peter Reynolds, & inquiry learning themes like: art history, WW1 & 2, innovation, bias vs open-minded, nature, flowers and trees, Dot Day and Earth Day.
A clear and comprehensive photo journal of each step of the process has been provided, along with student and teacher exemplars of work in progress and completed work.
This lesson plan focuses on:
- LINE - identify and use line types in scratch patterns
- SHAPE - identify and use 2D shapes to compose artwork
- COLOUR - identify and use warm and cool colour values, for effect
- ABSTRACT ART - investigate the works of Wassily Kandinsky
Art Skills include: tracing stencils, creating patterns, cutting shapes, composing, gluing.
Enjoy the step-by-step instructions in this lesson, brimming with colour photographs of authentic student work. The examples in this unit were created by 5-7 year olds. Landscape layout suitable for sharing on a large screen.
WHAT ARE TEACHERS SAYING: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
"Amazing value, this resource is super engaging and my learners absolutely loved the activities. Made teaching art really simple for me too, thank you!"
"Thank you for a lovely resource. It is easy to understand & use especially that I am not an arty person. It is also lovely to find and use locally produced resources."
Suits: most early primary/ elementary grades and homeschooling families.
Children will: learn to create painted paper and use collage as an art medium
Learning intentions include: Identify lines, shapes and colours in artworks, Use colour values from darkest to lightest, Create painted paper, Use the scratch-back technique to add line patterns, Use circle stencils, Develop technical skills for tracing, cutting, gluing and composing, Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork.
Media demonstrated: painter paper collage
Materials used: paper and paint, scissors, glue, oil pastels
Also included in the PDF document, are:
- Learning Intentions for the IB PYP and NZC at levels 1 & 2 / Phases 1 & 2 but these will closely match LO's from other art curriculums.
- Student Voice reflection/ assessment guides for both levels
- a short intro lesson that builds a collaborative class mural perfect for Dot Day
- 12 line pattern cards
- bulletin board display information about the artist Wassily Kandinsky in the form of a Social Media profile (updated) including posts, images, video links and an autobiography. You can read more about this unit on my blog HERE
- Multiple student worksheet options
View a short video excerpt below.
FOR MORE VISUAL ART RESOURCES CLICK HERE
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
❤️ Connect with Help MeLearn by following this store on Instagram and Facebook.
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Please preview before you buy. If you have any questions, please contact me BEFORE you purchase.
⭐️If you value more of this resource type, please consider leaving a rating. Every care is taken with publishing this resource and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resource.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn