BLUE NIKAU PALMS multi lesson art plan inspired by Fauvist style Grades 3-8
BLUE NIKAU visual art lesson plan is inspired by colourful Fauvist artists like Franz Marc, Henri Matisse and André Derain. Suits students in Grades 3-8. Nikau palm trees are indigenous to and an iconic symbol of New Zealand. Combined with cultural Kowhaiwhai patterns, this unit is a favourite with New Zealand teachers.
Use to enhance a study on New Zealand or easily adapt to your local culture and environment, inspiring personally relevant artwork from your students. This quality teaching guide will help you to confidently engage students in purposeful visual art lessons, that they will love. Explore the art elements of COLOUR, LINE, SHAPE, FORM, SPACE & TEXTURE .
This lesson plan focuses on the Art Elements of:
- COLOUR - contrasting warm and cool colour families, using non-realistic colour schemes for impact
- LINE - use cultural line types to create patterns
- SHAPE - use shapes to build the tree
- FORM - add 3D form with colour value
- SPACE - used in the 3D form of the tree, layering over the pattern and adding a shadow
- TEXTURE - added with shadow and light, bark and leaf texture
All steps are clearly explained and includes photographs of real life student results (not staged) from ages 8-9. Over 45 pages of information in landscape PDF format, ready to share on your classroom screen with your students.
PRAISE FOR BLUE NIKAU ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
"Very happy with this unit. So easy to understand with the step by step directions and included color pictures of real student work."
"Great unit with thorough instructions and clear photographs - can't wait to try it!"
This Resource Includes:
- provocation links suggested in image and video formats
- lesson guides for provocation, observational drawing, guided drawing, making and reflecting
- teacher questions to drive collaborative discussions, feedback and next steps
- Student reflection guides for completed artwork
- Links to IB PYP Phase 2 curriculum standards
- Links to New Zealand Level 2 curriculum standards
Suits: most mid primary/ elementary grades and homeschooling families.
Children will: create a Nikau Palm painting in the Fauvist style
Learning intentions include: Draw from observations, Draw with tutorials, Explore the elements of Art, Develop planning & composition skills, Apply theoretical learning to own ideas, Develop technical skills for drawing, value colouring with crayons and paint. Respond to art created by artists and by my friends, Reflect on my own knowledge, skills, progress and artwork.
Media demonstrated: wax crayons/oil pastels and liquid water colour paint
Materials used: A4* and A3 art paper, drawing pencil, black markers, wax crayons/oil pastels and liquid water colour paint, paint brushes, scissors & glue
*A4 = 8.5 by 11 inches (215.9 by 279.4 mm)
Browse my comprehensive PDF lesson plans in the following sub-categories:
View my growing collection of video art tutorials
Review these TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom or home, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal and use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn
TEACHERS SUPPORTING TEACHERS
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store