BODY SYSTEMS Bumper Inquiry unit with Explanation Writing guides Grades 3-6
BODY SYSTEMS Bumper Inquiry unit with Explanation Writing guides aimed at Grades 3-6 is a comprehensive inquiry unit that will help you to set up and run both teacher guided and student lead inquiries with your students. Over 130 pages of ideas, resources, graphic organisers and photographs. Updated in 2021, now separated into the following 2 products for easy use:
1. Teacher guided inquiry unit for the digestive system. Teach your students about the stages of a robust inquiry process. Students work in cooperative groups as they develop these skills. The first, teacher directed inquiry product contains the following items:
- Central idea suggested for inquiry (poster & student hand-out)
- Key concepts suggested (poster & student hand-out)
- Inquiry Cycle diagram (poster & student hand-out)
- Links to blog - view lessons in action
- Teacher directed inquiry into the Digestive System
The Teacher directed / guided inquiry unit focuses on the digestive system and includes:
- Explanation writing criteria (Teacher & student version)
- Explanation writing checklist (Teacher & student version)
- Explanation writing posters
- Asking focused questions graphic organisers
- Exploring a range of resources
- Digestive system information texts - 2 levels
- Digestive system diagrams
- Digestive system glossary
- Digestive system experiment
- Links to video resources
- Experiment write-up graphic organiser
- Group / shared writing graphic organisers
- Assessment rubrics
2. Student lead inquiry unit for their choice of a body system. Now step back and guide your students through the stages of a robust inquiry process into the body system of their choice. Students may work on independent or group based research and presentations. This student lead inquiry resource partners with the teacher lead/ modelled inquiry for the digestive system, and contains the following items:
- Student lead inquiry into a body systems of choice
- Classroom photos of unit in action
- All support materials and teacher models
- Student hand-outs
- On-line research links
- Inquiry management systems
- Variety of assessment and self assessment formats
- Presentation ideas.
Student lead inquiry unit into a Body System of own choice, includes:
- Prior knowledge check
- How many systems are there? (home learning, library time or independent reading option)
(These 2 can be switched around or run at the same time)
- Explanation criteria (posters and student hand-out)
- Student choice posters
- Student questions
- Identifying common themes for research
- Student note-taking / note-making sheets
- Using the Google Drive (or similar) as an author’s wheel
- Peer reviewing
- Reference web links for all Body systems
- Presentation options
- Assessment Rubric sample
- Extras - Math links etc
The two products are over 130 pages. Please view the images before purchasing. The video preview below shows closeups of Part 2 - Student lead inquiry.
Customer Feedback: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Read more on TPT
"Great resource for my 3rd graders!'
"What a great unit of work"
"Just what I needed right now!, Thanks!, Very useful, Great resource!"
For IB PYP resources view the link below:
For Writing Resources view the link below:
Be the first to learn about new products added to the store
Preview the photos before you buy. If you have any questions, contact me BEFORE you purchase.
If you found value in this resource, please leave a positive rating for future customers. Every care is taken with editing and publishing, and at times, errors can still sneak through. Rather than leaving a negative rating, first contact me directly and be specific in your feedback so that I can make those improvement, giving you and others the best quality resources.
Review the TOUs prior to purchasing.
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license to use this resource in your classroom, but this does not give you copyright.
All teaching materials sold by Help Me Learn and One Teacher's Journey are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the credit in any of my teaching materials.
Created by Timea Willemse, © One Teacher's Journey, © Help Me Learn